17.3 million children in the United States live in poverty
Let’s exceed the goal of collecting 5,000 backpacks from Kentucky Baptist churches! One half of the backpacks collected here will be distributed directly to children living in poverty in Kentucky, while the other half will go to needy children in our partner Send City, Cincinnati.
This initiative is a partnership with the North American Mission Board and Kentucky Woman's Missionary Union.
How to Participate & Pack
- Register online the number of backpacks your church is committed to pack and share.
- Begin with a NEW, zippered backpack.
- Determine the gender and age for the backpacks, then mark a label for each backpack accordingly.
- Fill the backpacks with NEW gifts (item list).
- Securely tape the labels to the outside of the backpacks.
- Pray specifically for the child receiving the backpack and his or her family.
- Deliver the backpacks to your designated collection site on the assigned day (associational collection site list).
Backpack Collection Timeline
October 16-20, 2017
Churches deliver backpacks in boxes to associational collection sites.
Each church must:
- Ensure that each backpack is packed with toys, clothing, food items, a copy of the "Christmas Story" leaflet, and a copy of the Mailbox Bible Club postcard.
- Ensure that each backpack has a label specifying the age and gender of its contents.
- Pack four to six backpacks each in 18"x18"x16" cardboard boxes (available at Lowes, Home Depot, Staples, etc.), keeping those designated for the same ages and genders together when possible.
- Transport the committed number of backpacks to its designated associational collection site.
October 23-27, 2017
Associations deliver backpacks in boxes to regional collection sites.
Each association must:
- Ensure backpacks are labeled and packed (four to six backpacks each in 18"x18"x16" cardboard boxes), keeping those designated for the same ages and genders together when possible.
- Transport boxed backpacks to its designated regional collection site.
October 30-November 3, 2017
All boxed backpacks will be picked up from the regional collection sites and distributed to the requesting ministries and church plants.